About the Museum Building
The building that currently houses the Clinton Museum was built of locally made burned clay bricks in 1892 to serve as a school. Mr. Ed Norton operated a brickyard on Cut-Off Creek, close to the current location of David Stoddard Secondary School. There are stories that Mr. Norton also made bricks at another location in the Cut-Off Creek Valley, but neither location has been confirmed by Historians or Archeologists. The museum remains the only all-brick building in Clinton.The oldest photo we have of the School is “ The Class of 1898”, by well known Ashcroft photographer J.H. Blome. The students & teacher are named on the back of the photo.
More than Just a School
In 1915, the bell added in 1904 had not yet been donated due to war effort to be melted down for munitions. The boys on the left are walking north toward the Clinton Hotel, visible in the far distance on the left.
In the early years, the building also hosted Clinton’s annual ball. Desks were moved out, and the dancers moved in. Construction of Memorial Hall in 1920 finished that era of the building’s history.
By 1925, the old school building was too small. It was replaced with a new, larger, school. The now venerable brick building became the Clinton Courthouse. Many famous trials took place at the quarterly assizes.
In 1945, the building was again called upon to serve as a school. Which it did, until 1951.
Helene Cade Long time resident of Clinton and Volunteer at the museum
Our Vision for the Museum A place and institution that:
- Is a welcoming place, where people are drawn together to share their passion and interest in our history and sense of place
- Supports and gives voice to the South Cariboo’s diverse cultural perspectives
- Has sustainable, modern facilities while retaining its traditional character
- Creates and maintains professionally presented, inspiring and intellectually challenging exhibits and educational programs.
- Utilizes a volunteer and staff corps that are creative, enthusiastic, and supportive of each other, the Museum’s mission, and the community.
Spring Clean up Bee at the Museum
Pre-opening Clean-up Day, April 16, 2016. A dozen volunteers to help out. Uncover, prune, rake, wipe, vacuum, clean, wax, shine, polish, and repeat. Every year South Cariboo Historical Society volunteers participate in a spring work bee to ready the Museum for the 4000 people who will visit that year.
Volunteer Don Shook Freeing up the big drill in the blacksmith shop. He's getting it working.
Supervisor Lass checking out volunteer Colette French's work
Edith McLorn and Lynn Shook, two of our hard working volunteer clean-up crew.
Volunteer Bernice Weihs-Anderson counting cones. Maybe she's bagging them.
Don and Andy May asking, anyone need any holes drilled
Clean up surprises - look what Andy found! (Store fixture from Foster's store)
Can you imagine the tree that board on the fixture came from? Clear lumber 22 inches, (56 cm) wide, and 19 feet (6m) long.